Masala chai is a combination of Assam black tea, milk, sweetener and spices.
Prep Time: 2 minutes Cook Time: 5-10 minutes Yield: 2 servings
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick, lightly crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons black tea
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (or to taste)
- Lightly crush cinnamon and cardamom in a mortar.Put water in a pan. Add cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper and cloves. Bring to a boil and simmer for few minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it stand 3-4 minutes to allow spices to infuse.
- Add sugar and milk and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add tea leaves. Cover and let it steep for 4-5 minutes.
- Strain and serve.
Typically, in India masala chai is served in a glass leaving some room at the top to hold the glass. This can be served as a morning beverage or afternoon pick-me-up.
It is a delicious, spicy, comforting and simple to make. It perfectly compliments a typical Indian traditional breakfast or a spicy, salty snack. Enjoy your cup of chai!